Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Meal Planning

So we moved a few months ago and still aren't completely settled. It takes a long time to unpack when you lose a lot of space (we lost 800 sq ft of space) and when you have 3 kids. One wants to help, one wants nothing to do with helping, and the other THINKS he's helping when really he's just making a mess. haha Being still somewhat unsettled made me realize my meal planning has gone out the window. Grocery shopping has become more difficult and more expensive. When I don't have a plan I tend to just buy whatever I think we may use, which costs a lot and results in a lot of extras in the pantry that I can't use until I get more ingredients to make something else, etc. It has caused a lot of frustration! Like, anything, it's been a learning experience! I love learning experiences because then I can share them with others as well! What have I learned? ALWAYS have your meals planned and make a grocery list based on those meals (and those meals alone to avoid temptations to get things you will regret getting later!). Yes, even when you're stressed out with traveling, moving, whatever it may be - it may seem the time it takes for meal planning isn't worth it, but NOT planning only adds to the stress - and hurts your budget! You are much more likely to dine out when your meals aren't planned, and that adds up quickly!

So where do you start? Anywhere! If you're a great "planner" coming up with meal plans and a grocery list based on those plans can definitely be done by yourself! Make sure you know the full recipes for each meal and base your shopping list on the ingredients needed for each. I personally try to use a variety of recipes that use similar ingredients, but the main part of the meal is different - such as a different entree but similar sides or a different meat in the entree but similar prep style. If you have kids, though, they may not mind having the same thing over and over again - and we actually do that a lot here! haha Now there are so many options out there for meal planning. Some cost a small monthly fee, some are free - and you have to find what works for you. I have found the meal planners that are connected to fitness sites are less likely to have kid-friendly options, so if you're a parent this can be extremely frustrating and a little more time-consuming because you're basically taking those meal plans and then adding more to the recipes or even additional meals for your kids. For more family friendly I found one I like called Food on the Table. They also offer meals based on what coupons are current at your grocery store! It's a great family friendly option! Another that I haven't personally tried yet but will be looking into (after now recognizing my dilemma of falling off the "meal planning boat") is eMeals, which is recommended by Dave Ramsey. We plan on fully diving in to his financial guidance this year, so it definitely makes it appealing for me to look into it! If you already use it I would LOVE to hear your opinion! :)

Maybe you use something else - if so I'd love to hear about it! Whatever you use, remember to use it consistently!

No comments:

Post a Comment