Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A new challenge

Are you up for a challenge? It's a totally different challenge, and it will probably sound easy. I know for me it WON'T be easy, but I'm going for it! I heard this challenge on the radio and it really made me think! What a great idea! You may already do this or have done it. I never have, and I admit I'm kind of nervous!

OK, OK, so what's the challenge? For the entire month of April I'm going to commit to drinking water as my only beverage - nothing else. Meal replacement shakes or other whole food supplements in drink form won't be counted as beverages, of course: things like juice, coffee, soda, tea, lemonade, etc will be off limits.

So why did this intrigue me? For one, I'm sure I've said this before, but I don't like drinking water - at all. I do it because it's necessary and beneficial, but I have been finding lately I'm not drinking enough because I'm always drinking something else! Water is so important to helping our bodies function correctly and getting all the nasty stuff out! Our bodies need water and need constant replenishment! A lot of people who started increasing their water intake due to a similar challenge felt better, had more energy, and had improvements in their skin!

Did you know that 8 cups (64 ounces) per day is the bare minimum recommendation? Ideally you should be drinking half of your body weight in ounces. For example: if you weigh 160lbs you should be drinking 80 ounces of water daily. Now if your weight puts you below the 64oz recommendation you're not off the hook! Haha Like I said - that is the minimum! One thing that I recommend (and need to start implementing again) is getting a water bottle and filling it up x amount of times (whatever your ideal is) so you know if you're drinking enough.

Drinking ONLY water for a month will definitely be challenging for me, personally, and I hope you will consider joining me on this challenge and keeping each other accountable! So, are you in? If so, let's start pumping each other up now so when April 1st rolls around we'll be ready to go! We will start an accountability group now to discuss a plan of action to avoid temptations! I'm excited to see what changes I will notice during the challenge, and my goal is to become more disciplined with my water intake so even after the challenge is over I will have the deep rooted habit of drinking plenty of water daily! All it takes to develop new habits is to start something new and commit to it for a length of time to where it's just a natural part of your life. So I am taking that step April 1st. Will you be joining me?

* Please do not confuse this challenge with consuming water alone as in a fast! I'm a breastfeeding mom and require an EXTRA 500 calories/ day, during which I would never consider a complete fast! When I say drink water only I am referring to drinking water as my only BEVERAGE. I wanted to make sure that point is clear! :-) *

No comments:

Post a Comment