Thursday, July 5, 2012

Crunches Challenge

Ah, I'm behind! It's already July, and I never implemented this month's challenge! To re-cap last month we did a health challenge that challenged us to eat a green fruit or vegetable every day. I'll be honest, I was pretty boring and didn't mix it up a lot. I already eat a salad a day with a mix of romaine or spinach, so that was my "usual" green. It still fits the challenge, though! haha Were you taking the challenge with me? If so, how did you do? Did you mix it up or stick to a favorite? Please share your story in the comments! :)

So, that means July is a fitness challenge month. I'm sure you probably saw this coming since my last fitness challenge was a pushup challenge - crunches! You can mix it up however you would like - crunches, situps, reverse situps, obliques, etc. Since we're already a few days into the month (oops, I promise my scattered posts, falling behind, etc. is for a good reason right now) instead of 3,000 like I was originally planning let's do 2500! So, are you with me?? That's less than 100 a day, and you don't have to do all 100 at the same time. Because pushups are a "weak spot" for me, I split them up in sets of 10 throughout the day. This was also more feasible with the kids around, too!



Some tips for proper crunches and sit-ups:

  • If you prefer to put your hands behind your head make sure to keep your arms relaxed. DO NOT LEAD WITH YOUR ARMS. Concentrate very carefully on your abdominal muscles doing the work! The same is true of oblique crunches - concentrate on your oblique muscles doing the work!

  • If you're doing small crunches keep your face toward the ceiling. Don't tuck your chin! Again, lead with the abs, not your face or arms.

  • Keep your feet firm on the ground. If this is too hard ask if someone can hold them down for you or if you have a sofa nearby stick your feet under it! Again, focus on your abdominal muscles doing the work!

  • Breathe in on the way down and breathe out with force on the way up - this not only helps you to focus on breathing properly, but it also helps you engage your abdominal muscles!

  • With anything warm up and stretch before and after!


Crunches are great to improve your core muscles and strengthen your abs. If you're really looking to define your abs crunches alone are NOT the answer! The saying "abs are made in the kitchen" is becoming popular because what you eat largely determines what might be "hiding" those abdominal muscles - particularly females. We have it a little harder because things like stress can also increase cortisol and therefore increase belly fat. I'm currently doing RevAbs again and have gotten great results, and not only is his passion awesome, but his knowledge of nutrition is phenomenal! He shares MANY great tips/tricks for beating the belly bloat and belly fat!

So will YOU be taking our fitness challenge this month? I hope you'll join me!

No comments:

Post a Comment